You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get past the mouse and keyboard image to start up my mac mini

I have been out of the country for 5 months and disconnected my mini mac before I left. I have reconnected everything, but I am unable to sign in because there is an image of the mouse and then the keyboard indicating to turn it on. I had the mouse on but not the keyboard, so I shut everything down again and turned it back on again, but still can't get past this screen! Help!! Been at this all day....

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 3:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 4:16 PM

Hi, PamelaA27, maybe I can help you.....

Bluetooth can be troublesome, especially on startup and for troubleshooting. Did your mouse and keyboard each come with a Lightning to USB cable ? Am assuming here that you have a Magic Mouse and Keyboard. If you do and you did, the best thing to do would be to plug in each cable, 1 for the mouse, and one for the Keyboard. You can plug the mouse's cable into the keyboard, which should have a USB socket on it. You should do this while your mac mini is shut down, of course. After you have connected them via cable, please do a reset smc/pmu. If you have a recent model mac mini, it has the T2 chip in it, and needs to be done thus:

-shut down your Mac

• remove the power cord
  • wait about 20 seconds then plug the power cord back in
  • wait another 20 seconds then press the power button to turn it on

Gosh, that wasn't too hard.....

I suggest leaving both plugged in for now, and waiting until they have charged up. Usually bluetooth (or any wireless keyboard/mouse) has problems on restart or when troubleshooting. Usually you have to turn it off, wait a bit, then turn it on again, or if it's got one of those little tiny USB reciever dongles, unplug that, turn the mouse/keyboard off. wait for a bit, then turn it on and plug the dongle back in. Seems to fix the problem for me on restart, anyways.

usually I keep a spare USB wired keyboard and mouse around for just such an occasion. Doesn't have to be a fancy keyboard and mouse. Doesn't even have to be a Mac keyboard/Mac mouse. As long as it's USB and wired, it'll work.

anyways, with your keyboard and mouse plugged in via USB it should work now. Now you can go to system prefs and click on keyboard and get that set up. same with mouse. You can also go to the bluetooth menu, top right of screen, 3-4 icons left of the time display. Looks like an angular Capital Letter B. if you click on the cog in the menu you should be able to forget/un-pair your mouse and keyboard. and then re-pair them. Am also assuming that you have made your mac mini discoverable via Bluetooth as well

good luck to you

john b

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2020 4:16 PM in response to PamelaA27

Hi, PamelaA27, maybe I can help you.....

Bluetooth can be troublesome, especially on startup and for troubleshooting. Did your mouse and keyboard each come with a Lightning to USB cable ? Am assuming here that you have a Magic Mouse and Keyboard. If you do and you did, the best thing to do would be to plug in each cable, 1 for the mouse, and one for the Keyboard. You can plug the mouse's cable into the keyboard, which should have a USB socket on it. You should do this while your mac mini is shut down, of course. After you have connected them via cable, please do a reset smc/pmu. If you have a recent model mac mini, it has the T2 chip in it, and needs to be done thus:

-shut down your Mac

• remove the power cord
  • wait about 20 seconds then plug the power cord back in
  • wait another 20 seconds then press the power button to turn it on

Gosh, that wasn't too hard.....

I suggest leaving both plugged in for now, and waiting until they have charged up. Usually bluetooth (or any wireless keyboard/mouse) has problems on restart or when troubleshooting. Usually you have to turn it off, wait a bit, then turn it on again, or if it's got one of those little tiny USB reciever dongles, unplug that, turn the mouse/keyboard off. wait for a bit, then turn it on and plug the dongle back in. Seems to fix the problem for me on restart, anyways.

usually I keep a spare USB wired keyboard and mouse around for just such an occasion. Doesn't have to be a fancy keyboard and mouse. Doesn't even have to be a Mac keyboard/Mac mouse. As long as it's USB and wired, it'll work.

anyways, with your keyboard and mouse plugged in via USB it should work now. Now you can go to system prefs and click on keyboard and get that set up. same with mouse. You can also go to the bluetooth menu, top right of screen, 3-4 icons left of the time display. Looks like an angular Capital Letter B. if you click on the cog in the menu you should be able to forget/un-pair your mouse and keyboard. and then re-pair them. Am also assuming that you have made your mac mini discoverable via Bluetooth as well

good luck to you

john b

I can't get past the mouse and keyboard image to start up my mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.