You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch for a kid - will this work?

Hello all, I hope someone can assist.

We're thinking of buying an Apple Watch for our 11-year-old daughter however I'm not sure how it will work (or if it will at all).

Just to provide an overview: my wife and I each have iPhones, however neither of us has an Apple Watch. Our daughter has an iPod Touch which she uses for iMessage, games and the internet. We each have our own Apple ID however are linked as a family.

I understand an Apple Watch requires a linked iPhone. I'm presuming our daughter's iPod Touch won't work be able to be linked, however please let me know if I'm wrong.

Can I link her Apple Watch to my iPhone (for example) but, once linked, sign her into her own Apple ID on the Watch so she can receive her usual messages, etc.?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 4:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 5:21 AM

No this won't,if you pair a watch to your phone then your daughter will receive your messages and email and if it's the cellular version she would receive your calls as well.

This is because the watch will be paired to your apple id.Whichever phone the watch is paired too it takes on the identity of that phone.

A possible solution would be a cheap iphone 6s paired to the watch using your daughters apple id.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2020 5:21 AM in response to spenno

No this won't,if you pair a watch to your phone then your daughter will receive your messages and email and if it's the cellular version she would receive your calls as well.

This is because the watch will be paired to your apple id.Whichever phone the watch is paired too it takes on the identity of that phone.

A possible solution would be a cheap iphone 6s paired to the watch using your daughters apple id.

Apple Watch for a kid - will this work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.