You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic

I get a kernel panic on my Mac several times per day. My MacBook Air randomly freezes and restarts even when I just write something in Word. Before freezing, kernel_task takes a very high CPU, about 90% (as shown in the Activity Monitor). When it restarts, there is a notification "Your computer was restarted because of a problem". It is fully updated, currently on Catalina 10.15.5.

What is causing the issue? Please help, the laptop is only half a year old! Should I return it on warranty or is it a problem I can easily tackle?

This is the Problem Report:

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 1:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 1:49 PM

First, try all the applicable suggestions in If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support. For example, "Check RAM and third-party hardware" does not apply to your MBA because they are not user-replaceable components, but you should disconnect any external hardware in an attempt to eliminate those potential causes.

Should I return it on warranty ...

If it continues to occur, yes. Start here: https://getsupport.apple.com

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2020 1:49 PM in response to hihaveagreatday

First, try all the applicable suggestions in If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support. For example, "Check RAM and third-party hardware" does not apply to your MBA because they are not user-replaceable components, but you should disconnect any external hardware in an attempt to eliminate those potential causes.

Should I return it on warranty ...

If it continues to occur, yes. Start here: https://getsupport.apple.com

Kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.