You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the point if the hard drive on Apple TV box? Can i downlod content dorect into thr box to watch offline later or on another tv?

what is the point of the hard drive on the Apple TV box? Can i download content direct onto the box to watch offline later or on another tv? Or is the hard drive purely to download apps? If so, seems like no point having hardly any storage on the box. And I have to wonder who would buy the box with the largest hard drive?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 9:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 9:46 PM

Apple TV's don't have a hard drive for storing content, they are streaming devices. As long as you have an Internet connection you can watch the content you want when you want it. You just stream it over the Internet. The storage in Apple TV's is to load apps, games etc, home automation content etc.

5 replies

Jun 30, 2020 10:27 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks, we bought the larger memory version on the understanding from the sales guy that we could download content onto the box then take the box with us camping to watch various shows/movies on another tv if we wanted. Maybe we can do that with our phones and iPads (casting to the tv?), but doing it with the Apple TV box feels more convenient. I hate having to jam up my phone with a bunch of crap for my kids to watch.

Jul 1, 2020 12:06 PM in response to How zee

If the sales guy said that then he was either misinformed or gave improper information to make the sale. Apple TV's have been streaming only since the 2nd gen, the 4th gen brought the ability to download apps and that is why they have the hard drive. The larger version is merely there as an option for those who are intent on running more games and this is covered in documentation.

The options would be to download to iPhone/iPad/Computer and use airplay to cast or use a nearby network/hotspot to connect the Apple TV to the internet.

what is the point if the hard drive on Apple TV box? Can i downlod content dorect into thr box to watch offline later or on another tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.