You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White screen on start up, can't solve

My old and faithful Early 2011 Macbook Pro has given me an issue I can't seem to resolve. On start up I get to the load screen with the Apple logo, once the load bar gets to about 3/4 full the computer goes to a white screen and just stays there or reboots and repeats the process to eventually stay there..

I have tried:

• Booting in safe mode
  • Reset NVRAM
  • Boot in Recovery Mode (cmd+R) (won't even enter it, so can't check disc, reinstall OS, etc)
  • Boot in Internet Recovery Mode (cmd+opt+R)

The only option where I can interact with the computer is in Internet recovery mode. I am able to connect to a network, something seems to download (takes about 5 mins), then goes to the Apple logo load screen, 3/4 bar to white screen again.

I can't find my recovery disc, so that is currently not an option.

If relevant, I upgraded my HDD to an SSD several years ago.

Any thing else I should try?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 7:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 8:45 AM

You have tried most of the things mentioned in the link. If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar - Apple Support

Just making sure you have not connected any accessory to your Mac. (unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices)

If you had any issue with SSD then the Internet recovery should go through fully and you will be able to use recovery mode.

Please try Apple Diagnostics Test: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2020 8:45 AM in response to EEBB

You have tried most of the things mentioned in the link. If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar - Apple Support

Just making sure you have not connected any accessory to your Mac. (unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices)

If you had any issue with SSD then the Internet recovery should go through fully and you will be able to use recovery mode.

Please try Apple Diagnostics Test: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731.

Jul 1, 2020 9:24 AM in response to Sharhari

I did not know about this diagnostic tool, thanks for that.

I ran the short test and an error came back but it is not on this list Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes - Apple Support.

The code is:

4HDD/11/40000000:SATA(0,0).

I'm guessing its the SSD due to the Sata and HDD mention...

I am currently running the long form of the diagnostic but said it might take over an hour.

Jul 28, 2020 10:29 PM in response to EEBB

Ok. Before booting via USB please reset SMC and NVRAM/PRAM.

Reset the SMC of your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Did you check or run first Aid for the SSD when connected to another computer?

Also please try connecting your old HDD if you have and make sure you have the Apple Hardware Test run to see if you still have any issue.

Jul 1, 2020 10:43 PM in response to EEBB

EEBB wrote:

I will try to get an enclosure from a friend of mine who said he could lend me one. If the problem is the cable... Is this user replaceable or would I need to take it in?

Yes, You can do it with little care and the right set of tools. But if you think you can't handle please take it in for service.

Jul 28, 2020 1:08 PM in response to Sharhari

I finally was able to get my hands on an HDD enclosure. It seems the problem isn't the SSD or the IR sensor. I removed the SSD and connected it to another computer using the enclosure and was able to visualize and open files. So I connected it to the USB port of my bad macbook pro, booted holding alt/option button, selected the hard drive and still get the same sequence. Apple logo load screen, 3/4 load bar, white screen.

Jul 29, 2020 5:15 PM in response to Sharhari

I was able to boot into my SSD from my wife's macbook via USB, which was a relief in a way. The SSD is fine and bootable. No idea what's wrong with my laptop.

I cleared SMC and NVRAM on the troublesome Macbook and still have same problem at boot up. I was able to boot into AHT and ran the test without a hard drive and said no trouble. I think it might just be time to take it into an authorized service provider and see what they can find.

White screen on start up, can't solve

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.