You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting All Photos Library and Data -- Fusion Drive?

I have a huge (2.2TB) Photos library that I need to delete from my Mac because it is taking up too much space. I have copied/pasted it onto two separate external hard drives, so I feel as good as I can about hitting the delete button. Question is how do I do it?

I clicked on Macintosh HD and then went to Users/myname/Pictures and tried to delete the Photos Library, but maybe not surprisingly that didn't work. My Mac has a 3TB Fusion Drive. When I look at Disk Utility, it shows: Fusion Drive/Container disk2 and then has Macintosh HD (which shows only 11.2GB Used) and Macintosh HD - Data (which shows 2.99TB Used).

Any ideas about how I delete whatever I need to delete to free up space?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 9:26 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 2, 2020 9:38 PM in response to donhoos66

Also...do I need to do anything with the "Use as System Photo Library" in Preferences. Right now, the Photos "Library Location" is pointing to the external hard drive and is working...in other words, I can see all of my pictures. However, the "Use as System Photo Library" is not greyed out. Not sure what this means.

Additional note: I don't use iCloud Photo Library on my Mac, just on my iPhone and iPad. I manually transfer pics from those two devices onto my Mac.

Jul 3, 2020 8:11 AM in response to Yer_Man

I right-clicked and moved it to Trash. Then I deleted Trash, thinking it would take a long time to delete all the files and that my storage capacity would dramatically increase. It only took less than a minute to delete and it really didn’t increase my storage capacity by much. Clearly deleting whichever Photos Library that was associated with my username at that point didn’t delete all of my files.

Deleting All Photos Library and Data -- Fusion Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.