You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switch an iPad with my Apple ID to a family sharing account for a kid without loosing everything

If I have an ipad that is set up with my apple ID already, is it possible to switch it to a family sharing account for a kid without loosing everything on there?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air, iOS 8

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 9:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 12:01 PM

I miss read your first post.

The games depend on the sign in. If he used your Apple ID as the sign in for the game, he may need to continue using your ID for the game while using another ID for everything else.

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion.

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.       

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 3, 2020 12:01 PM in response to momoftwins22

I miss read your first post.

The games depend on the sign in. If he used your Apple ID as the sign in for the game, he may need to continue using your ID for the game while using another ID for everything else.

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion.

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.       

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

Jul 3, 2020 10:00 AM in response to momoftwins22

The easiest thing to do is to keep your existing ID. If you switch IDs, you will lose access to some of your data and all of your purchases unless the existing ID is also added to family sharing. Is there a reason you want to have an account for a kid? If using Ask to Buy is the reason, it can be turned on for account where the age is less the 18 years old.

Family Sharing -  Ask to Buy.      

Jul 3, 2020 11:54 AM in response to Eric Root

When I purchased the ipad I set it up with all my account information, because I didn't know about family sharing. Well he gets all my text messages, contacts, emails and everything else so I want to set it up to be his own. He has games on there and he doesn't want to loose his place and progress so wondering if I switch it over to his own account, will he have to start over?

Switch an iPad with my Apple ID to a family sharing account for a kid without loosing everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.