You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot upload Photo Library to iCloud as Mac storage is full

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with this. I am trying to move my photos to iCloud as my Mac storage is full, and get this error message. How can I solve this so that I can move the photos and free up space?

I am using a 2014 MacBook Air running Sierra.

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 11:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 1:37 PM

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with this. I am trying to move my photos to iCloud as my Mac storage is full, and get this error message. How can I solve this so that I can move the photos and free up space?

There is no "move to icloud" possible.

iCloud is a syncing service, not off device storage. Its purpose is to keep selected content of yours the same on any subscribed devices. You have already optimized your photos, so that is the best you can do.

Options are to remove some of your Mac's data to an external drive. You photo library can be stored externally.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201517

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2020 1:37 PM in response to emily905

There is no "move to icloud" possible.

iCloud is a syncing service, not off device storage. Its purpose is to keep selected content of yours the same on any subscribed devices. You have already optimized your photos, so that is the best you can do.

Options are to remove some of your Mac's data to an external drive. You photo library can be stored externally.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201517

Cannot upload Photo Library to iCloud as Mac storage is full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.