You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV connect to iphone hotspot?

I want to connect my apple TV to the TV in my van. Will the apple TV be able to stream via my iphone hotspot?

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 12:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 12:54 AM

Theoretically, yes you can point the Wifi on your AppleTV to your hotspot network. But my guess is that it's not going to work very well. Mobile hotspots usually only provide 3G worth of bandwidth, unless you're paying for an expensive premium plan from your carrier. That would be insufficient for the type of streaming that AppleTV demands, as it is trying to load higher resolution images for the TV screen. You could end up with serious buffering stutter, and find it hard to watch.

But try it and see. It won't hurt anything.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2020 12:54 AM in response to gregfromwilmette

Theoretically, yes you can point the Wifi on your AppleTV to your hotspot network. But my guess is that it's not going to work very well. Mobile hotspots usually only provide 3G worth of bandwidth, unless you're paying for an expensive premium plan from your carrier. That would be insufficient for the type of streaming that AppleTV demands, as it is trying to load higher resolution images for the TV screen. You could end up with serious buffering stutter, and find it hard to watch.

But try it and see. It won't hurt anything.

Apple TV connect to iphone hotspot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.