You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App on macbook downloading files via icloud...possible to turn that off?

All photos i take on my phone are automatically downloading on to my macbook. Taking up a ton of storage on my computer. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using icloud? Is there a way to turn off that so that i don't have the full file on my computer??

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 10:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 10:27 AM

No, you can select the "Optimize Mac Storage" on the Mac and on the iPhone. However, before you can email, print, edit or use the image in a project or outside the library the full sized version must be downloaded to replace the optimized version,. Optimization doesn't take place on a Mac until about only 20% of the boot disc's capacity remains as free space.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2020 10:27 AM in response to campoxford

No, you can select the "Optimize Mac Storage" on the Mac and on the iPhone. However, before you can email, print, edit or use the image in a project or outside the library the full sized version must be downloaded to replace the optimized version,. Optimization doesn't take place on a Mac until about only 20% of the boot disc's capacity remains as free space.

Jul 6, 2020 10:18 AM in response to campoxford

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using icloud?

Not really. iCloud is not an off computer storage facility. It's a syncing feature so that all devices that are signed into the same iCloud ID, with a Photos library and with the iCloud Library enabled can have the exact same library regardless of where the photos were added to the library. Any changes made to one library is made on all libraries.

If you don't want the photos taken by your iPhone on your MacBook then disable the iCloud Library feature and the My Photo Stream on the MacBook.

Photos App on macbook downloading files via icloud...possible to turn that off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.