You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Existing Accessories, HomeKit Router

Hi everyone!

I’ve been considering purchasing a HomeKit enabled router. I have several existing HomeKit accessories and I have some confusion over the documentation that Apple provides.

The Apple support document states;

“After setup, add your HomeKit accessories to the Home app. If you already have HomeKit accessories added to the Home app, they will continue to work and benefit from most HomeKit network protection features. For even more security, remove and reset your Wi-Fi accessories then add them back to the Home app. This creates a unique passkey known only to the router and each accessory.”

Obviously, given that I’m interested in a HomeKit router, I’m concerned about the security of HomeKit devices, so I’d like to benefit from the most secure setup that HomeKit provides. But it isn’t entirely clear what is required to properly proceed.

Is it just Wi-Fi enabled devices that need to be removed and added again to the Home app? Do Ethernet devices (like my Philips Hue bridge) need to be removed and added again? And if so, do the accessories that communicate through the bridge need to be removed and added again? Or just the bridge?

What about accessories that communicate with a bridge that is Wi-Fi enabled (like my Netatmo thermostat and radiator valves)? Do I need to remove and then add just the bridge? Or all of the accessories?

And do I need to factory reset the device(s) entirely? Or do I just remove them from the Home app and add them again?

Many thanks in advance to everyone that responds.

HomePod

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 3:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 3:51 PM

Thank you for your response.

I understand that my HomeKit accessories will work as intended with no further action, but the support document states “For even more security, remove and reset your Wi-Fi accessories then add them back to the Home app. This creates a unique passkey known only to the router and each accessory.”

This is from where my confusion originates. What is meant by “remove and reset”? And is it just Wi-Fi devices? What about Ethernet devices? And what about devices that communicate with bridges?

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 7, 2020 3:51 PM in response to QuickPost

Thank you for your response.

I understand that my HomeKit accessories will work as intended with no further action, but the support document states “For even more security, remove and reset your Wi-Fi accessories then add them back to the Home app. This creates a unique passkey known only to the router and each accessory.”

This is from where my confusion originates. What is meant by “remove and reset”? And is it just Wi-Fi devices? What about Ethernet devices? And what about devices that communicate with bridges?

Existing Accessories, HomeKit Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.