You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Spotlight show me a full file path?

When searching in Spotlight, when I press the cmd key it only shows me a small part (the end) of the file path for any item that I search. The much abbreviated path that it reveals is usually not enough to enable me to locate the file. How can I see a full path when performing a search?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 11:35 AM

The ⌘ key in Spotlight will show the Apple HFS path to the document punctuated as: Startup-Drive • Users • yourname • Desktop • filename. There is no provision in Spotlight to show the POSIX (UNIX) path as /Users/yourname/Desktop/filename.ext.

Pressing ⌘R will open a Finder window with the specific file preselected.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 8, 2020 11:35 AM in response to billinrio1

The ⌘ key in Spotlight will show the Apple HFS path to the document punctuated as: Startup-Drive • Users • yourname • Desktop • filename. There is no provision in Spotlight to show the POSIX (UNIX) path as /Users/yourname/Desktop/filename.ext.

Pressing ⌘R will open a Finder window with the specific file preselected.

Jul 22, 2020 3:46 PM in response to FoxFifth

Or you could save this AppleScript as a script or application on your Desktop, and once you have selected something in the Finder, just double-click the script to bring up the Show Info panel:

tell application "Finder"
	if exists (selection as alias list) then
		tell application "System Events"
			activate
			tell application process "Finder"
				activate
				set frontmost to true
				keystroke "i" using {option down, command down}
			end tell
		end tell
	end if
end tell
return

Can Spotlight show me a full file path?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.