You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade safari on my iPad?

Can I upgrade Safari on my iPad?

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 10:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 11:14 AM

Safari is an integral element of the installed version of iOS/iPadOS; it cannot be updated independently.

If your iPad is currently running, or cannot be updated beyond iOS 10.3.3/4, then have an iPad4.

Update support for iPad4 ended September 2017. The final iOS releases for this model were iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only models) and iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular). iPad4 cannot be updated to any later major version of iOS as it lacks the minimum hardware requirements needed to run more recent versions.

If Apps that you need to use (whether native or third-party) now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. As for Safari, you may find other available browsers - but these too will be limited by the installed version of iOS.

I hope this information is helpful - if only in clearly stating your current options.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2020 11:14 AM in response to Patty811

Safari is an integral element of the installed version of iOS/iPadOS; it cannot be updated independently.

If your iPad is currently running, or cannot be updated beyond iOS 10.3.3/4, then have an iPad4.

Update support for iPad4 ended September 2017. The final iOS releases for this model were iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only models) and iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular). iPad4 cannot be updated to any later major version of iOS as it lacks the minimum hardware requirements needed to run more recent versions.

If Apps that you need to use (whether native or third-party) now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. As for Safari, you may find other available browsers - but these too will be limited by the installed version of iOS.

I hope this information is helpful - if only in clearly stating your current options.

Jul 9, 2020 10:13 PM in response to Patty811

If your iPad has been stuck on iOS 10.3.3 for the past few years, with no major upgrades/updates forthcoming, then you own a 2012, iPad 4th generation.

A 4th gen iPad cannot be upgraded beyond iOS 10.3.3/10.3.4 for WiFi & cellular data models.

A 4th gen iPad is a NEARLY 8-year old device, now!

These older iPad models are too old, now, too underpowered and completely incompatible with any of the current and future versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Your 8-year old iPad will be fully and completely obsolete by the end of 2020.

Here's why.

Tap and read my link below for my additional info about your iPad model.

If you own OLD 8 and 9 Year Old iPad mo… - Apple Community

Sorry, but it is what it is, today, in the year 2020!

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Jul 9, 2020 9:45 PM in response to Patty811

There maybe other still iOS 10 compatible, third party Web browsers still available that you can try instead.

I would STOP using that nearly 3-year old Safari web browser, as it is, probably, not safe and secure to use any longer, and seek out a third party web browser that is STILL currently being updated and STILL being supported on iOS 10 and earlier

Here are a few third party web browsers that might be STILL being updated and supported on iOS 10.

Available and more popular third party Web browser choices are, basically, gone now.

Here is what maybe left.

iCab Mobile Web browser

Aloha Web browser

ALook Web browwer

Dolphin Web browser

DuckDuckGo Private Web browser

Snow Bunny Web browser

Maxthon Web browser

Private Browsing Web browser by Savvy Soda

Private Browser Deluxe

TOR browser anonymous

Turbo VPN browser

TOR + VPN web browser private

Pick two in this list that have had the most recent of app updated and is still compatible with iOS 10 and earlier iOS version.

Good Luck to You!

Jul 9, 2020 10:09 PM in response to Patty811

You can update the iPad's Safari browser by performing a general update for the iPad operating system. Safari comes standard with the iPad, and the latest OS upgrade will also include the latest Safari update. Safari can save user-defined shortcut keys to save time.

Step 1: Insert the USB cable into the bottom dock of the iPad. Connect the other side of the USB cable into an open USB port on your computer.

Step 2: Open the iTunes media player on your computer. The software may take a minute to recognize your iPad device.

Step 3: Click the "iPad" icon in the left column of iTunes and then click the "Summary" tab.

Step 4: Click the "Check For Updates" button in the window. The software will search for the latest iPad iOS software and then ask if you would like to install. Click the "Update" button to begin installation.

Get back to us if the issue still insists.

Thanks and Best Regards:

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Can I upgrade safari on my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.