You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Catalina issues

On my MacBook was preinstalled Mojave 10.14.5, I did a backup on WD external hard drive (file system MacOS journaled) and then upgraded to Catalina 10.15.5. Now my Time Machine just won't do any backup: first attempt ended with a stop, the second hadn't even started. Should I change my file system to APFS and what to do with Mojave backup if I may decide to downgrade back to 10.14.5?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 6:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 3:28 PM

Hello kiirequeen,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! So you're having issues with backing up to Time Machine; let's look into this more.

With regard to the Time Machine drive formatting, you actually have the drive formatted correct, this article explains more:

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

This article can help with the issues you're having:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2020 3:28 PM in response to kiirequeen

Hello kiirequeen,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! So you're having issues with backing up to Time Machine; let's look into this more.

With regard to the Time Machine drive formatting, you actually have the drive formatted correct, this article explains more:

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

This article can help with the issues you're having:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Time Machine Catalina issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.