You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deciphering the EtreCheck report

Hello everyone,

Recently thought it will be good check my MacBook Pro (Catalina 10.15.5) for any malware. Saw that EntreCheck is a good utility to run for the purpose. Its report is below.

The top concern raised was that there is a runaway process:

"Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

Other processes 83.87 % (?)"

Should I be concerned? How do I find out what the runaway process is/was? Any help in deciphering the report will be much appreciated! Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 12:45 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 15, 2020 1:17 PM in response to hikonix

Allowing EtreCheck full access may help identify the "other" process. Otherwise, you can use this Apple technique:

See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

You'll need to tell us the name of any greedy processes that test reveals. Screenshots from Activity Monitor are not very helpful because AM uses a dynamic display, changing every few seconds.

Deciphering the EtreCheck report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.