You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extended Display

Can I use my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017) as an extended display for my MacBook Pro? If so what would I need to use? Thank you.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 6:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 6:54 AM

Nope, last iMac you could use was a 2014 Non-Retina iMac...

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2020 6:54 AM in response to diegoba9

Nope, last iMac you could use was a 2014 Non-Retina iMac...

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

Jul 16, 2020 8:16 AM in response to rkaufmann87

well yes, but the 2017 iMac you can't really upgrade it without voiding the warranty or sending it off to up apple and pay 700 dollars just to install new RAM. If my macBook performs better than my iMac and it's a lot easier to code with that's when using the iMac as an extended monitor would come into play instead of having to go out and buy an extra monitor.

Jul 16, 2020 8:29 AM in response to diegoba9

I understand, you under purchased because you did not thoroughly research what you ordered. You can speed up the computer by adding an external USB 3 SSD. The RAM could be upgraded, but by and independent AASP not an Apple Store. However I would skip that and just get the USB 3 SSD. Then clone your internal HD (use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner) the internal HD to the SSD and then use the SSD as your boot drive.

Doing the above SSD upgrade will dramatically improve performance of the computer and have no affect on the warranty or AppleCare.

Extended Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.