You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring a home movie to ipad

I used to be able to transfer a home movie from my iMac to my iPad. Now, since the app has changed from "Videos" to "TV" there is no longer a section for home videos in the app unless you are home sharing. I wanted to transfer a home movie to my iPad to watch away from home or show friends. Now only purchased items from the iTunes store show up on my iPad. Is there a way to transfer an mp4 file from my iMac to my iPad and be able to view it away from home?

iPad (6th gen) WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 4:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 4:21 PM

Never mind! I decided just to connect my iPad to the iMac, select and drag the home movie to the Movies section of the device display in iTunes, it transferred as before, and voila! "Home Videos" appeared in the TV app menu. I am relieved, since I wanted to have this as a backup. I made an iMovie slideshow for my son's wedding. I burnt it to DVD, but I wanted to have it on my iPad with a video connector, just to have a plan B in case the DVD or DVD player malfunctioned. I imagine this would work for other content I have that is not purchased from iTunes, if I change the info from "Movie" to "Home Video" Hope this helps someone else.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2020 4:21 PM in response to teacherjoanne

Never mind! I decided just to connect my iPad to the iMac, select and drag the home movie to the Movies section of the device display in iTunes, it transferred as before, and voila! "Home Videos" appeared in the TV app menu. I am relieved, since I wanted to have this as a backup. I made an iMovie slideshow for my son's wedding. I burnt it to DVD, but I wanted to have it on my iPad with a video connector, just to have a plan B in case the DVD or DVD player malfunctioned. I imagine this would work for other content I have that is not purchased from iTunes, if I change the info from "Movie" to "Home Video" Hope this helps someone else.

transferring a home movie to ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.