You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad text messages

when a few people text me it doesn't go to my Samsung Galaxy Note but to my ipad. Why is that? For example, on of my friends has text me for years and I always get his text on my phone but ever since i got my new ipad his text messages only go to the ipad??

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 5:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 6:37 PM

Oh, I missed that you don't own an iPhone. Sorry, you can't use Continuity Services with a Galaxy Note. It honestly doesn't make sense that you are getting your friends texts on your iPad unless the friends who are texting you are iPhone users and you are getting iMessage. You should NOT be getting text messages on your iPad from non-iPhone users.

On your iPad in Settings > Messages > Send and Receive

You should only see your Apple ID email address as where you can send and receive messages from. If you had an iPhone, you'd be able to send and receive from your cellular number as well, but since you don't own an iPhone, your cellular number won't communicate for text messages on iPad.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2020 6:37 PM in response to 311kinsley

Oh, I missed that you don't own an iPhone. Sorry, you can't use Continuity Services with a Galaxy Note. It honestly doesn't make sense that you are getting your friends texts on your iPad unless the friends who are texting you are iPhone users and you are getting iMessage. You should NOT be getting text messages on your iPad from non-iPhone users.

On your iPad in Settings > Messages > Send and Receive

You should only see your Apple ID email address as where you can send and receive messages from. If you had an iPhone, you'd be able to send and receive from your cellular number as well, but since you don't own an iPhone, your cellular number won't communicate for text messages on iPad.

Jul 19, 2020 6:50 PM in response to 311kinsley

He should text to your cell number, not your iMessage email address. Since as I suspect, he has an iPhone when he selects you to text to, he is likely unaware it is texting via iMessage, not via your cell number. He needs to specifically text your cell number. When it is time for a new phone, you'd make your life simpler and MUCH more cohesive if you move to iPhone, especially since you are an iPad user. iPhone and iPad are designed to work so well together. iPad and Galaxy, not so much.

Ipad text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.