You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brightness keys (F5, F6) aren't working on new MacBook Air 2020

My brightness adjustment keys on my new MacBook Air aren't working at all. All the other fn keys (volume adjustment for example) seem to be working fine.

• I already went into system preferences and made sure "use as standard function keys" box is unchecked. (I tried both checking and unchecking the box and holding down ctrl while using the keys as well)
  • I restarted my computer.

Just to add, I can go into my settings and manually adjust the brightness, but I can't do so with the function keys.

Anything I'm missing or any other suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 8:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 9:25 PM

You have all the settings covered to address the issue. You stated that the F5 and F6 keys are not working at all.

I recommend that you perform the following actions to address / reset system hardware and software settings-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM

See if any of the above steps resolve the issue with the keys. Thanks.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2020 9:25 PM in response to s_l_p_123

You have all the settings covered to address the issue. You stated that the F5 and F6 keys are not working at all.

I recommend that you perform the following actions to address / reset system hardware and software settings-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM

See if any of the above steps resolve the issue with the keys. Thanks.

Axel F.

Brightness keys (F5, F6) aren't working on new MacBook Air 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.