You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update

I am trying to restart my MacBook Pro to install an update. It keeps asking for an administrator name and password. I have no idea what this would be. HELP!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 11:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 11:36 AM

Mojordy2:

Update: I am trying to restart my MacBook Pro to install an update. It keeps asking for an administrator name and password. I have no idea what this would be. HELP!

———-

Determining All of This:

It’s probably the same username and password you use to log in to your computer with to use it.

Revealing your Username:

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Tap: Users & Groups
  3. View: what user is listed at the very-top.

The Top-Listed user would be the username you are logged in to.

Underneath it, it should show if you are an administrator(in dull-grey font).

So, if an Administrator, enter that Username, and use the password you use to log in.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 20, 2020 11:36 AM in response to Mojordy2

Mojordy2:

Update: I am trying to restart my MacBook Pro to install an update. It keeps asking for an administrator name and password. I have no idea what this would be. HELP!

———-

Determining All of This:

It’s probably the same username and password you use to log in to your computer with to use it.

Revealing your Username:

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Tap: Users & Groups
  3. View: what user is listed at the very-top.

The Top-Listed user would be the username you are logged in to.

Underneath it, it should show if you are an administrator(in dull-grey font).

So, if an Administrator, enter that Username, and use the password you use to log in.

Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.