You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forticlient VPN stopped working

I had been using the Forticlient VPN from my Mac Mini with catalina just fine.

I just upgraded it to version 10.15.6, and today my Forticlient VPN did not connect for the first time since the beginning of the pandemics. The error was "insufficient credentials" although nothing changed from the previous successful connections.

I am not sure whether the Apple OS upgrade is the cause, so I am posting this question to see if other people also had the same issue lately.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 12:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 11:03 PM

You may want to contact your IT staff to see if they can assist you and to report a possible bug. Maybe there is a newer version of the client available or perhaps there is an issue with the Firewall or one of the IT staff made changes to the Firewall.

You may be able to use your browser to point to your business' vpn portal to login using the browser (maybe it will provide you with a new client to download as well).

I believe we use an open source Fortinet client on our Macs, but I'm not sure which one. I know the "openfortivpn" client for Linux works well (on Debian Linux). While they don't have a macOS specific build, they do provide instructions on using Homebrew & Macports to install it. Here is a link (link acquired from the Debian Linux package information):

https://github.com/adrienverge/openfortivpn

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 20, 2020 11:03 PM in response to cpale

You may want to contact your IT staff to see if they can assist you and to report a possible bug. Maybe there is a newer version of the client available or perhaps there is an issue with the Firewall or one of the IT staff made changes to the Firewall.

You may be able to use your browser to point to your business' vpn portal to login using the browser (maybe it will provide you with a new client to download as well).

I believe we use an open source Fortinet client on our Macs, but I'm not sure which one. I know the "openfortivpn" client for Linux works well (on Debian Linux). While they don't have a macOS specific build, they do provide instructions on using Homebrew & Macports to install it. Here is a link (link acquired from the Debian Linux package information):

https://github.com/adrienverge/openfortivpn

Jul 21, 2020 9:55 PM in response to HWTech

Folks,

thanks for the very fast help!

It turns out, I think, it was something related to a Kaspersky update.

It may have blocked Forticlient from connecting to the vpn.

After I contacted the IT support and asked for a new password, it still did not work the first time.

So, I kept wondering what else could be happening, and decided to try deactivating Kaspersky internet security.

Then...the vpn connection was restablished!

Later on, I decided I needed to try Kaspersky back again, since it had worked for a few months before.

And, lo and behold, it worked fine again, as before.

best regards,

Claudio

Aug 17, 2020 2:34 PM in response to cpale

I use MacOS 10.15.5 (Catalina) and Forticlient 6.4.0.1231 to connect to my office via VPN. I also have Avira Antivirus 4.0.3.1. Unfortunately, I've just discovered that Forticlient VPN won't connect unless my Avira has "Real Time Protection" turned off. With this turned off, it works just fine. However, it's extremely irritating to have to turn off this feature, each time I log into the VPN.

Aug 17, 2020 6:19 PM in response to HWTech

I appreciate the higher level comments here, folks.

Looking back, I agree with you - in more than 10 years using Macs in the family, probably more than 30 years combined, we never had any serious problems.

About once a year, though, the AV says it found some trojan or malware. Is that genuine, or a marketing strategy ?!

I can't tell.

For those not as experienced, and who also help the older generation's computer..the AV brings some peace of mind...

Aug 17, 2020 6:31 PM in response to cpale

cpale wrote:

About once a year, though, the AV says it found some trojan or malware. Is that genuine, or a marketing strategy ?!
I can't tell.

A Mac can be a carrier for a Windows' virus, but a Windows virus won't run on a Mac.

For those not as experienced, and who also help the older generation's computer..the AV brings some peace of mind...

Agree with @BobTheFisherman. If you do want to use an app, then the only app which I've ever seen to do anything on a Mac is MalwareBytes. I suggest running MalwareBytes only if you suspect a problem. However, if a user practices safe computing practices, then even MalwareBytes is not needed. Practicing safe computing does more than prevent a virus or malware, it also prevents people from falling for scams and phishing attempts and user tracking.

Forticlient VPN stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.