You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro Max Text Tone

I cannot get an alert for texts. I am not on Do Mot Disturb, the silence switch is in the correct position, and still nothing, UNLESS I have the message app open, which is the only time I do not need the Alavert!

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 1:54 PM

5 replies

Jul 23, 2020 2:26 PM in response to tvwhalen

Hello tvwhalen,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

It appears that you are not getting notification alerts for text messages. Do Not Disturb is not on, silence switch is set to allow sound. Those are the first things to check, now let's check the notification settings for the Messages app. Take a look at the following support article to make sure that sounds are turned on.

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Best regards.

Jul 24, 2020 6:17 AM in response to tvwhalen

tvwhalen,

It may not be as clear as it could be, but for the Messages app, you also have the option to change the alert tone to "None". It is on this image from that article. Click the "Sounds" option (just above Badges). If it shows "None", you will not get an alert tone. Or the tone selected might not be easily heard. Click the tone and you will get the menu to select different tones.

Change alert styles

To add or change an alert style for a notification:

1. Go to Settings > Notifications.
  2. Select an app under Notification Style. 
  3. Choose a type of alert and banner style. 

You can also turn sounds and badges on or off.

Cheers.

iPhone 11 Pro Max Text Tone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.