You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reset my system library to be the photos I have on iCloud?

When I set up my MacbookPro, I must've done something wrong. My system library isn't the photos stored on iCloud. I have an external drive with my photos, and when I try to load them, the message is "Would you like to switch libraries". I never do because I don't know if it means I will lose all the photos on my external drive in the switch!

I could use advice on how to reset my system library to be the photos I have on iCloud. Then I can import the photo from the external drive without worrying about losing them.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 6:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 5:12 AM

You can use several photos libraries, but on work with one of them at a time. And one of your libraries can be designated as your System photo Library and sync with the Photo Library in iCloud.

• When you double-click a library, Photos will ask you, if you want to switch to this library. The current library will be saved and remain unchanged, and Photos will open the library you clicked.
  • To set up iCloud Syncing, open the Photos Library that you want to sync with iCloud.
    • With the library open, go to Photos > Preferences > General and click "Use as System Photo Library", if it is not dimmed.
    • Then Photos > Preferences > iCloud and enable "iCloud Photos". The photos from your current library will be uploaded to iClid and merged into the existing iCloud Library. The merges library will download to your Mac. Photos is checking for duplicates when merging the libraries.

See:

Create additional libraries

System Photo Library overview

From iCloud Photos

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2020 5:12 AM in response to Northbrook87

You can use several photos libraries, but on work with one of them at a time. And one of your libraries can be designated as your System photo Library and sync with the Photo Library in iCloud.

• When you double-click a library, Photos will ask you, if you want to switch to this library. The current library will be saved and remain unchanged, and Photos will open the library you clicked.
  • To set up iCloud Syncing, open the Photos Library that you want to sync with iCloud.
    • With the library open, go to Photos > Preferences > General and click "Use as System Photo Library", if it is not dimmed.
    • Then Photos > Preferences > iCloud and enable "iCloud Photos". The photos from your current library will be uploaded to iClid and merged into the existing iCloud Library. The merges library will download to your Mac. Photos is checking for duplicates when merging the libraries.

See:

Create additional libraries

System Photo Library overview

From iCloud Photos

How do I reset my system library to be the photos I have on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.