You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What adapter do I need to connect my LG 5K ultrafine display to a Mac Pro 2013?

I have a 2013 Mac Pro and an LG 5K ultrafine 27" display.

The LG display only has thunderbolt 3 connections, and the Mac Pro does not have thunderbolt 3/ usb-c.

I would like to connect the display to the Mac Pro.

What is the best setup for this?

Will I be able to get native 5K resolution with an adapter?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 9:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 11:48 AM

For ThunderBolt displays ONLY, you can use the Apple ThunderBolt-3 <--> ThunderBolt-2 adapter. For your case, you would need to add a genuine ThunderBolt-2 cable on the computer end.

NB>> This adapter does not support any other display protocols (even with adapters) than genuine ThunderBolt displays, and does not provide Thunderbolt power in either direction.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 23, 2020 11:48 AM in response to tyler82

For ThunderBolt displays ONLY, you can use the Apple ThunderBolt-3 <--> ThunderBolt-2 adapter. For your case, you would need to add a genuine ThunderBolt-2 cable on the computer end.

NB>> This adapter does not support any other display protocols (even with adapters) than genuine ThunderBolt displays, and does not provide Thunderbolt power in either direction.

What adapter do I need to connect my LG 5K ultrafine display to a Mac Pro 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.