You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes will not show music in Ipod touch after I plug it in

Hello,

I recently got a new computer. However, today I tried to add music to my Ipod Touch (6th gen) and forgot that this was the first time I did it.

I was able to put my music onto my itunes. However, when I plug my Ipod Touch into the computer, it says I have no songs inside the Ipod Touch despite it having 2223 songs in it.

I have tried to sync it too but it says there's no room when there is definitely room, I transfered my songs directly from my Ipod Touch to my computer. I have already tried resetting my ipod and reinstalling Itunes and it still has the same bug.

Here are some screenshots

My ipod itself is fine and the songs are still in it but I cannot add songs to it. Any help would be appreciated.

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 2:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 1:21 PM

mchin314 wrote:

So is the only solution to delete everything off my ipod ?

No, I didn't say that.

Re-read what I've written. If you want to synchronise the music in your current iTunes Library to your iPod, then you will have to delete the music that's on there now. But - that is your choice. You do not have to delete anything off you iPod if you don't want to, but in that case, you will not be able to sync the iPod with the new Library. But before you do that, consider other methods for possibly recovering some of the music on the iPod.

Regarding the music that's on the iPod now:

• if you have copies of any of those songs in your new iTunes Library, you will not need to recover them from the old iPod
  • if you have songs on your iPod that are not in your new Library:
    • if you have a backup of those songs, import them into your new iTunes Library from the backup
    • for online purchases, such as the iTunes Store, Amazon, Bandcamp, Beatport etc., go to your account with that store and download the songs again
    • for songs from artist websites etc., return to those sites to see whether the songs are still available for download
    • for songs that you copied from CD, if you still have the CD, re-copy from the CD into your new iTunes Library. If you no longer have the CD, your choice is whether to buy the songs again, or not

When all of the above exhausts your options, any remaining lost music can be recovered from the iPod by using the tip tt2 has provided, if that is what is necessary.

Finally, the next time you get a new computer, transfer the music folder an all of its content from the old computer to the new one. That's how it should be done. But, in the event that your computer suffers a sudden failure, that wont be possible, so make a back up of your music.

You should back up anything you don't want to lose (music, photos, documents etc.) onto an external drive and keep that backup up to date.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 26, 2020 1:21 PM in response to mchin314

mchin314 wrote:

So is the only solution to delete everything off my ipod ?

No, I didn't say that.

Re-read what I've written. If you want to synchronise the music in your current iTunes Library to your iPod, then you will have to delete the music that's on there now. But - that is your choice. You do not have to delete anything off you iPod if you don't want to, but in that case, you will not be able to sync the iPod with the new Library. But before you do that, consider other methods for possibly recovering some of the music on the iPod.

Regarding the music that's on the iPod now:

• if you have copies of any of those songs in your new iTunes Library, you will not need to recover them from the old iPod
  • if you have songs on your iPod that are not in your new Library:
    • if you have a backup of those songs, import them into your new iTunes Library from the backup
    • for online purchases, such as the iTunes Store, Amazon, Bandcamp, Beatport etc., go to your account with that store and download the songs again
    • for songs from artist websites etc., return to those sites to see whether the songs are still available for download
    • for songs that you copied from CD, if you still have the CD, re-copy from the CD into your new iTunes Library. If you no longer have the CD, your choice is whether to buy the songs again, or not

When all of the above exhausts your options, any remaining lost music can be recovered from the iPod by using the tip tt2 has provided, if that is what is necessary.

Finally, the next time you get a new computer, transfer the music folder an all of its content from the old computer to the new one. That's how it should be done. But, in the event that your computer suffers a sudden failure, that wont be possible, so make a back up of your music.

You should back up anything you don't want to lose (music, photos, documents etc.) onto an external drive and keep that backup up to date.

Jul 26, 2020 9:47 AM in response to mchin314

There's more to your post than meets the eye:

1. I'm assuming that this is the first time you've connected this iPod to this iTunes Library, because you mention your new computer. Presumably then, you saw a message telling you that if you sync the iPod with this iTunes Library, all previous content will be removed from the iPod. That's because you cannot Sync an iPod with two different libraries (and the same content, on a different computer, is a different library)
    2. assuming that you are happy to remove the previous media in favour of the new Library, the message in your screenshot actually says that there is not enough room. It does not say there is no room. What that means is that whatever you're trying to add (whatever you've selected to add) to your iPod requires 5.01 GB more space on the iPod than it has available. When this happens, iTunes does not attempt to sync at all. The fact that iTunes doesn't even attempt to Sync appears, at first glance, to be irritating - and wrong. But all it's doing is waiting for you to decide what to put on, and what not to put on, to your iPod

• So - if you did get a message telling you that the previous content will be removed from the iPod, make sure you are happy with that before you Sync the iPod with this Library. If you need to recover that music, use tt2's tip.
  • tt2 may be able to throw some light on why the view in iTunes shows no music on the iPod. I'm guessing (but I'm not as knowledgeable as he is) that it's not showing the content of the iPod because it has "no access" to that music, since it's from a different iTunes Library

Jul 26, 2020 10:25 AM in response to the fiend

• tt2 may be able to throw some light on why the view in iTunes shows no music on the iPod. I'm guessing (but I'm not as knowledgeable as he is) that it's not showing the content of the iPod because it has "no access" to that music, since it's from a different iTunes Library

I'm not sure why the content of the connected device isn't displayed either. Perhaps iTunes is showing a list of what it currently "thinks" is synced to the device rather that looking at what is actually on it.

tt2

Itunes will not show music in Ipod touch after I plug it in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.