You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won’t restart or load up

My iMac has been slow and faulty for a while now so we recently got around to resetting it and wiping the software completely. I placed all my necessary files onto a USB and went onto recovery mode by restarting and using Command + R until the apple logo appeared. I then tried every option available to me , restored my Drive to factory settings and used the first aid kit on it to ensure it was all clear. Everything went well yet when i tried to restart with the startup disk , it froze at the end of the loading bar. After a couple of days leaving it there nothing happened , so we tried again and again , and were unable to download MacOS High Sierra nor could we use time machine. I cannot access my computer at all currently. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can resolve this? It’s an older generation of iMac, if that helps with anything.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 6:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 6:19 AM

If your Mac doesn't turn on – Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 26, 2020 9:21 AM in response to bizz_xd

You have provided little information about what Mac your computer is. It's important to tell us what year and model you have. Also which OS are you trying to install? Is it the same one? A couple of thoughts come to mind. You say it it is an older computer, but don't say what year it is. You could possibly have a failing hard drive due to its age. If you are using wi fi to download your new OS, it may have gotten corrupted. That happens with wi fi. You might try again to download a new installer using a direct cable connected to your network interface. I think you are saying you ran Disk Utility. Is that correct? If so, did it end with a report that said everything was OK? I not, rerun it until it until it does. If your hard drive is failing, Disk Utility will often so report. Beyond this, I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe someone else has an idea that may be helpful.

Jul 26, 2020 9:29 AM in response to Ronasara

i did run disk utility , and it all came out successful both times i completed the scan. i’m unable to find out the year or model , there is nothing on the computer and it was bought second hand a while ago , since i cant access the computer i can’t find any information about it. Is there anything i can tell you which will help identify it? I am trying to install High sierra but it tells me i’m trying to install something with MacOS and is telling me to restart everytime.

Jul 26, 2020 11:00 AM in response to bizz_xd

I believe that all Macs have a serial number on the bottom. It is my understanding that it's possible to visit the Apple help site and somewhere there it can provide the model and year of your Mac. Incidentally, I have read here that some of the experts have noted that it is not unusual for a "ready to die" hard drive will fail when an attempt is made to reinstall an OS on it, because it stresses the drive.

You have been unable to download High Sierra. Is this the same OS you had before this problem? If so, then compatibility is not the problem. Since the computer was running slow in the beginning, I have to suggest that the hard drive may have failed. I hope not.

Jul 26, 2020 2:07 PM in response to Ronasara

i was unable to find a serial number yet i believe the iMac that i own is from mid 2012, if that helps at all. I am unsure of which software i had previously but i very much appreciate what you’ve told me so far. i’ll check out apple support and see if i discover anything from there and i will look into hard drive issues. thank you very much for your help.

iMac won’t restart or load up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.