You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Hotspot

I have macbook air and iphone 6. When I try to connect my iphone's personal hotspot, it errors and exclamation point shows up in the wifi symbol. Error says this wifi has the self assigned Ip address 169.254.43.230 and will not be able to connect to the internet. I tried reseting and rebooting but it didnt help. How can I fix this problem?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 5:14 PM

The message indicated the computer is connected to a Wi-Fi network but that Wi-Fi network isn’t connected to the internet. It’s what you’d see if your Wi-Fi router was unplugged from the Ethernet cable (from your cable modem, etc.), or if your someone cut the cable/dish at your house.

Your Mac is connected to your iPhone, your iPhone is connected to cell service but that cell service isn’t providing an internet connection over Wi-Fi. You may want to contact your mobile carrier.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2020 5:14 PM in response to eda176

The message indicated the computer is connected to a Wi-Fi network but that Wi-Fi network isn’t connected to the internet. It’s what you’d see if your Wi-Fi router was unplugged from the Ethernet cable (from your cable modem, etc.), or if your someone cut the cable/dish at your house.

Your Mac is connected to your iPhone, your iPhone is connected to cell service but that cell service isn’t providing an internet connection over Wi-Fi. You may want to contact your mobile carrier.

Personal Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.