You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home app losing connection when not at home

Since the latest tvOS update (??) I've been having a hard time trying to use the home app when I'm away from home connected to the internet via LTE or hotspot (WiFi). It works if I 'restart' the AppleTV through the settings page on the Apple TV for a while then stops. I had it working yesterday (all day) when I had only my iPhone8 'paired' with the AppleTV. I paired my iPadPro3 last night, this morning BOTH don't work (no response) when I am at work. This is very frustrating.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 4:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 6:21 PM

Connecting to a single AppleTV 4 but I do have an older generation v3.

Tonight the ‘restart’ failed to work and I still couldn’t connect when away from the ‘home’ network. Once I ‘reset with software update,’ it seems to be working. I’ll ultimately know (most-likely tomorrow evening. Forgive me if I’ll wait a few days before believing it works LOL

Jb

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2020 6:21 PM in response to Michael Paine

Connecting to a single AppleTV 4 but I do have an older generation v3.

Tonight the ‘restart’ failed to work and I still couldn’t connect when away from the ‘home’ network. Once I ‘reset with software update,’ it seems to be working. I’ll ultimately know (most-likely tomorrow evening. Forgive me if I’ll wait a few days before believing it works LOL

Jb

Jul 29, 2020 2:01 PM in response to Grapevine Graphics

Do you connect to another ATV at work? Remote access for my Homekit system has been working well except when I set up another ATV in a holiday apartment for a week. Despite the 2nd ATV not being used for Homekit (but logged into the same iCloud account). I found that when my iPhone was connected to the apartment wifi I could not access my home system via the Home app. If I turned wifi off on the iPhone it worked again using 3G/4G.

Aug 4, 2020 3:20 PM in response to Grapevine Graphics

This morning I woke up and (not only) have I lost connection when outside my network but switches (Philips Hue) and automation weren't functioning properly. If I used the Home app I was able to trigger the routines and lights and the switches were being seen by the app... the switches just did not activate the devices.

After much frustration I have bought a new AppleTV, at least Apple's got their sh*t together for setting up, only took a few minutes.

Now I wait... (oh brother)

Now the wait... does

Home app losing connection when not at home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.