You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I make in app purchases with family sharing

We have family sharing, I am the manager, it is my credit card for making general purchases. My daughter would like to add her own card for apple purchases or if not possible, how does she buy in app purchases?

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 7:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 7:13 AM

In addition to the advice from Demo, you can also set up ask to buy if you want to control what she can purchase: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201089

Or she can always leave the family share, but she'll loose access to family purchases etc...

12 replies

Jul 29, 2020 7:06 AM in response to Rosi wdz

Only one person, the family organizer can make purchases. That keeps it simple. However, any member of the family can redeem iTunes gift cards to pay for apps and in app purchases. My family members redeem iTunes gift cards for all of their purchases and we never have to use my debit card on file.

If she doesn’t want to use gift cards, when she makes the purchase it will be charged to your card.

Jul 29, 2020 7:13 AM in response to Demo

Thanks Demo, however although I am happy for it to be charged to my card, it won't let the purchase go thru (payment failed error, try again later) even though I approved the purchase. It is an in app purchase, and is not a shareable purchase (the upgrade will only apply to her version). Which is why she would like the option of adding her own payment card. A bit stuck at the moment...

Jul 29, 2020 7:20 AM in response to Rosi wdz

I’m not sure why it won’t go through. We use Family Sharing and my adult daughter makes in app purchases all the time but she uses gift cards. As far as I know, your daughter should be able to make in-app purchases and have them be charged to your card.

It almost sounds like a glitch rather than a problem with the card or the fact that it’s an in app purchase from a child since you approved the purchase.

Jul 29, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Rosi wdz

Rosi wdz wrote:

Thanks Demo, however although I am happy for it to be charged to my card, it won't let the purchase go thru (payment failed error, try again later) even though I approved the purchase. It is an in app purchase, and is not a shareable purchase (the upgrade will only apply to her version). Which is why she would like the option of adding her own payment card. A bit stuck at the moment...

If I can add my two cents to what Demo correctly suggested, have you checked on your daughter's iPhone:

Settings>ScreenTime>Content&Privacy Restrictions>Itunes & App Store Purchases... the first 3 options MUST be set to "Allow".

Giulio

Jul 29, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Demo

I thought that too. I contacted Apple Support, who said because it was a third party app (aren't almost all apps third party??!!) they couldn't help, and suggested contacting the developer. But we could not find a way to contact the developer, and the problem seems more with apple payments than the developer of the app. She made a different purchase (a 69p app), as a test, which i approved and provided face id for etc, it went thru, but then my daughter was required to enter my cvv for confirmation.

how do I make in app purchases with family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.