You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP15" 2019 Freezes for 2 Min on Startup -- and has become generally fussy!

Hi Smart Mac Community! I need help!

This MPB is less than a year old, has been functioning flawlessly during that time, and suddenly last week (late July 2020) it's gotten cranky about something and I'm at my wit's end.

Without warning, every time I restart or start up, I pass the login screen and as soon as my desktop pops up, the whole machine FREEZES for about 2 minutes, during which time I can move the mouse, but I can't select anything. I can see on Menu Meters that half the processors peg just before the freeze, so I know it's doing something when this happens, and it occurs every time I start up or restart.

Spidey senses tell me there's some software in there that's been told to activate at startup that's not playing nice with everyone else, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it is. Restarting in SafeBoot is clean with no trouble at all.

Once it passes this little frustrating period, it mostly functions normally, except that on average twice a day during normal operations the machine will suddenly freeze, leaving the mouse operating but nothing selectable, and I have to do a hard restart. Sometimes I have to restart several times as the first restart tries to pick back up the operation that caused it freeze, and it freezes again. This seems to happen most often when I initiate two apps in close proximity or during mundane activity, like if I open Mail and Excel, or try to transfer a file to another drive while also opening a QT video -- but premiere running 4K video does just fine.

This is a work computer, I'm ultra organized and methodical about everything I install, update and use; I've cleaned out my startup queue (I think?) to the essentials, and while this trouble is work-around-able -- I know there is something wrong happening and I need to track it down. Has this happened to anyone else?

2.4ghz i9

32GB 2400Mhz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB

I'm still running 10.14.6 as I keep hearing how unstable Catalina is and I don't want to rock the boat, plus this doesn't seem like an OS issue -- my money is on 3rd party software making trouble somewhere inside. Yes, I've tried unplugging all external devices (I don't have that many), and it does the same thing.

Any suggestions will be rewarded with generous compliments!

ex. "man, cool shirt! where did you get it?"

Thank you!!

Josh

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 10:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 6:09 PM

UPDATE:

I reinstalled the OS from the boot sector and it completely solved my trouble! I didn't know I could do that on a Mac and it was super easy. All files safe and sound, and a nice clean install of the OS. Thanks everyone for your help!

Josh

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 31, 2020 12:33 PM in response to jmlfilm

this is NOT OK. It needs to GO and never return. Lets hope it did not do permanent damage to your MacOS or Applications.

[Not Loaded] AppCleaner SmartDelete (Julien Ramseier - installed 2019-07-06)

Modern Login Item

/Applications/AppCleaner.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/AppCleaner SmartDelete.app

You are running DropBox at all times. DropBox is not a MacOS native Application, so it will scan each and every file on your Mac, and each and every file you have stored on its site, non-stop at all times when it is running. This is as bad as so-called anti-Virus software, and a complete waste of resources. If you MUST use DropBox, run it only on-demand, and then quit it. AND you are running One drive, which has similar problems, but is not as extreme as DropBox.

Also, you are not showing a Time Machine drive or setup. You MUST have a backup copy of your files, or you will lose them all with no hope of recovery, Disk warrior or not.

Silverlight is obsolete and Microsoft has discontinued all support. Luckily, it is no longer needed.

You have some weird connection between DropBox and Brother directories. I have never seen this.

Running app: /Library/DropboxHelperTools/Dropbox_u502/dbkextd

Details: Executable file is not accessible without Full Drive Access

Running app: /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/Server/USBserver.app/Contents/MacOS/USBserver

Running app: /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/Server/NETserver.app/Contents/MacOS/NETserver

Jul 31, 2020 12:50 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for such a thorough review of my log!!!

I deleted SmartDelete -- is there a way to find out if it caused any damage? It's been there for a year and these problems just started last week. Is there anything else hiding in the system other than just deleting the app? I'll dump Silverlight, too - thanks for that.

I used DropBox constantly for everything for work, so it's not really an option to use it sparingly, though super interesting to know what a processor hog it is!

Any suggestion as to what to do about the DropBox/Brother connection? That does sound odd...

I don't use TimeMachine, but I keep all my files backed up using a different system.

Thanks again for taking a look at it!!!

MBP15" 2019 Freezes for 2 Min on Startup -- and has become generally fussy!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.