You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 5th gen ipad that was given to me. the owner is deceased. It was registered to the deceased so I cannot use the ipad. How do I delete the user id and password

How can I erase the user and password from my 5th generation ipad. the former owner is deceased.

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 10:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 11:23 AM

Here is Apple's support document on the subject:

How to request deletion of a deceased person's Apple ID - Apple Support

which links to this page:

https://digital-legacy.apple.com/#/privacy

2 replies

Aug 1, 2020 10:50 AM in response to kegamy

You can contact Apple about this. All you have to do is provide the death certificate and how you are related to them. After that connect it to a MacBook with Catalina or iTunes, or a windows computer with iTunes and them put it into recovery mode by doing the following: Shut down the iPad by holding down the power button then sliding the slider that appears. After that hold down the power button until you see the Apple Logo then hold down the home button immediately until you see a connect to iTunes screen or a connect to computer screen then follow the instructions on the computer. If you have no computer, go to a Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider they will help you.

I have a 5th gen ipad that was given to me. the owner is deceased. It was registered to the deceased so I cannot use the ipad. How do I delete the user id and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.