You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen mirroring among ios devices

I have a Macbook Pro, Iphone XS Max, and Ipad. All are up to date. I am trying to screen mirroring from my computer or ipad to the other. I have bluetooth on, I have airplay on. When I try to screen mirror - only apple tv and another smart tv are my choices. I have found several articles saying that I should be able to do this. Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks.

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 2:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 5:21 PM

As QuickPost notes, Macs, iPhones, and iPads don't natively act as AirPlay receivers, but there are some solutions for some combinations of devices.

Mac-to-iPad:

If your hardware and software are up to date enough, you may be able to use the new Sidecar capability to use your iPad as a second screen for your Mac, including mirroring the Mac screen to the iPad. See how here: Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac with Sidecar - Apple Support

There are also third-party solutions that allow an iPad to control a Mac and view the screen.

iPad-to-Mac:

There are several third-party Mac applications which can act as AirPlay receivers. I played with a few of them before Sidecar came out, but never found one I liked enough to purchase.

iDevice-to-iDevice:

I do not know of a current general solution between iPads and iPhones. There used to be some limited solutions for specific situations; there may still be some for things like using your iPad as a viewfinder for a camera app on your iPhone.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2020 5:21 PM in response to kwjaxin

As QuickPost notes, Macs, iPhones, and iPads don't natively act as AirPlay receivers, but there are some solutions for some combinations of devices.

Mac-to-iPad:

If your hardware and software are up to date enough, you may be able to use the new Sidecar capability to use your iPad as a second screen for your Mac, including mirroring the Mac screen to the iPad. See how here: Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac with Sidecar - Apple Support

There are also third-party solutions that allow an iPad to control a Mac and view the screen.

iPad-to-Mac:

There are several third-party Mac applications which can act as AirPlay receivers. I played with a few of them before Sidecar came out, but never found one I liked enough to purchase.

iDevice-to-iDevice:

I do not know of a current general solution between iPads and iPhones. There used to be some limited solutions for specific situations; there may still be some for things like using your iPad as a viewfinder for a camera app on your iPhone.

screen mirroring among ios devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.