You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Muisc app keeps creating Music Library.musiclibrary file in my Users folder.

Here's what I did: I have a iTunes libary on a external harddrive connected to my MacMini running Catalina 10.15.6. I opened the Music App holding the Option key and pointed to the iTunes Library.itl on my external harddrive. The Music app asked me where to create the Music Library.musiclibrary file. I pointed to the external harddrive where my iTunes library is stored. The Music app openend and works fine. So I thought the conversion from iTunes to the Music app was finalized. Then I closed the Music app and after a while re-opened it by clicking on the Dock icon. I noticed a Music Library.musiclibrary file was created in on the MacMini harddrive in the Users/Username/Music/ folder. I deleted the Music Library.musiclibrary file on my external harddrive and moved the Music Library.musiclibrary file from the Users folder to my external harddrive. I then double clicked the Music Library.musiclibrary file on my external harddrive and the Music app opened and worked fine. But yet again a Music Library.musiclibrary file was created in the Users/Username/Music folder on my MacMini harddrive.

My questions:

Why is this Music Library.musiclibrary file created on my MacMini harddrive?

I create a back up every week of my iTunes folder on the external harddrive. When I have to restore the folder do I need to restore the Music Library.musiclibrary file on my MacMini harddrive as well so thta when my external harddrive crashes and my internal harddrive crashes I will be able to restore my Music app content as it was previously?

Thank you very much.

Don

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 3:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 4:56 AM

See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for general background. Setting the media folder in preferences doesn't change where the database is created. You need to hold down option when launching Music to change the path for the database.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

Muisc app keeps creating Music Library.musiclibrary file in my Users folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.