You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minor Water Damage

I have an almost 5 year old MacBook Air model A1466.

I was working on it today and I advanced to grab a water bottle kept beside me when I tossed it right onto my laptop and the screen went off immediately. It was literally a handful of water and it spilt on the keyboard and must have seeped to the logic board. I had spilt water on my mac once before as well (like 2-3 months ago) but it was working fine and I had no problem with it until today. So, I tried switching it on but it didn’t work. I did not try to plug it into power. I have flipped the laptop and I am going to sleep now keeping it like that.

I will try to turn it on tomorrow but from what I have read online, I am in for a keyboard replacement. Can anyone suggest me what I should do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 12:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 12:28 PM

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service ASAP after the stores re-open. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD). You may also get Apple authorized service at a local Best Buy or contact Apple Support for more options. Meanwhile, shut down the computer completely, disconnect the charger, and do not try to use the computer until it has been repaired or replaced.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. If you just purchased the product, then you get 90 days of free telephone support from the date of purchase of your Apple device.
  3. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  4. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2020 12:28 PM in response to man_17

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service ASAP after the stores re-open. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD). You may also get Apple authorized service at a local Best Buy or contact Apple Support for more options. Meanwhile, shut down the computer completely, disconnect the charger, and do not try to use the computer until it has been repaired or replaced.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. If you just purchased the product, then you get 90 days of free telephone support from the date of purchase of your Apple device.
  3. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  4. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Aug 2, 2020 6:26 PM in response to man_17

I'm torn on whether users should tilt their Apple laptops after spilling liquid on them because it allows the liquid to run inside across more components than if the laptop is left to sit. The keyboard actually has a plastic covering for spreading the keyboard backlight, but also helps to prevent small liquid spills from seeping onto the Logic Board. The most common area for liquid damage on a MBAir (2017 or earlier) is liquid seeping in at the opening at the top of the Trackpad since the Trackpad cable connector is located directly beneath the opening. At the very least flip it over quickly so the keyboard sits flat on the table with the display open and hanging over the table edge.

A lot of people think using rice is a good idea to help dry out the computer, but the rice ends up inside the laptop clogging up the fan. A better option to rice is to use the sealed gel packets which ship with many items to keep things dry.

Even if the laptop powers on you may still experience issues days or weeks later once the electronic components begin to corrode. The damage is already done though.

Aug 3, 2020 10:16 AM in response to HWTech

Okay, so I just tried to switch it on and it didn’t start. I put it on charging and then it started. It showed 0% battery when it opened and all my tabs were open . When the screen went off due to spillage, I’m sure that my battery was in the 90’s. It was extremely slow, the applications were not responding and I managed to close all tabs and switch it off again. It’s still kept on charging mode and I’m waiting for it to charge a little bit now. I have made an appointment with Apple for tomorrow. Do you think I should still get it checked if it works smoothly as it did before? (I’m asking that because stores have a tendency to overestimate the problem and charge the f outta you for a minor thing)

Minor Water Damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.