You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original Photos not downloading automatically - can only manually retrieve them

I must be confused how the downloading process of Photos works. I got a new Macbook and I enabled Photos in my iCloud settings and kept the "Download Originals to this Mac" enabled. I thought that meant the original photos and videos would be downloaded automatically.

But it is stuck at the 20,603 number and hasn't moved at all. The only way I can get it to decrease is by choosing a specific video or photo and that forces the original download for that specific item. So I can do this one at a time -- obviously with that many photos/videos, that is not scalable.

The only other solution I have thought about is to Export All Unmodified to an external drive or something. I assume that would force an original download during the export. But that seems like a roundabout way to get the originals.

Any thoughts here? Why wouldn't these downloads just be happening automatically? I have good internet speed (600Mbps+), I am using ethernet/usb (have also tried wireless), etc.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 12:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 12:26 PM

Photos seems to be reluctant to download original image files, if you do not have much free storage. How much free storage is on the volume, where you are keeping your Photos Library? DO you have at least 20GB of really free storage, not just "available" storage?

Which system version do you have installed? Is your new Mac running macOS 10.15 Catalina?

Sometimes the download from iCloud gets stuck, if Photos cannot continue to upload new photos. Is there an album"Unable to upload to iCloud" ? What is the status line showing (see: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2020 12:26 PM in response to jmFightSpam

Photos seems to be reluctant to download original image files, if you do not have much free storage. How much free storage is on the volume, where you are keeping your Photos Library? DO you have at least 20GB of really free storage, not just "available" storage?

Which system version do you have installed? Is your new Mac running macOS 10.15 Catalina?

Sometimes the download from iCloud gets stuck, if Photos cannot continue to upload new photos. Is there an album"Unable to upload to iCloud" ? What is the status line showing (see: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support)

Aug 5, 2020 12:53 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for the response.

I have 900GB free space -- maybe I have too much, and photos doesn't know what to do with so much space 🤣.

I am keeping the library in the default Pictures directory.

I am running Catalina too.

See images below.

I don't see a "Unable to upload to iCloud" album. And the only status bar I see is what I attached here. (I actually don't see a way to get to Moments -- I only can go to Photos and then I see Years/Months/Days/All Photos).

Original Photos not downloading automatically - can only manually retrieve them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.