You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new MacBook Pro but apps "cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID."

I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro 13 a few days ago from a reputable retailer (John Lewis). Today I noticed several apps needed an update but when I try to update them I get the error message that they were refunded or purchased with another account.

If I open the App Store, got to my account name (bottom left), the only option available against "Purchased by" is my own name.

How can this have happened on a brand new MacBook?

How do I fix this?

(Or should I be returning the device to the retailer and asking for a refund because the device is not actually brand new?)

This is my first ever Apple device after years with Google/Android so I am pretty disappointed!

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 2:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 3:23 AM

The work around is to delete the apps and redownload them logged into your current Apple ID.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 6.2; iPad Air 2, ipadOS 13.5.1; iPhone 8+, iOS 13.5.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 13.4.6;  HomePods, audioOS 13.4.6 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2020 3:23 AM in response to boardsilly05

The work around is to delete the apps and redownload them logged into your current Apple ID.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 6.2; iPad Air 2, ipadOS 13.5.1; iPhone 8+, iOS 13.5.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 13.4.6;  HomePods, audioOS 13.4.6 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Brand new MacBook Pro but apps "cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.