You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to insert footnotes in Pages when using iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard

I've recently purchased an iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard, which I intend to use for writing. I'm using the latest Pages app. My current project requires footnotes, which I'm unable to insert because I'm using the Magic Keyboard.

On the iPhone, in Pages, I can tap/hold the screen, choose Insert -> Footnote from the resulting menu, and I'm able to produce a footnote.

That same behavior does not exist on the iPad version of Pages. Instead, the iPad version of Pages has tucked the Footnote control away in the onscreen keyboard. It's in the paragraph menu in the shortcut row.

There is, so far as I can tell, no way for me to access the onscreen keyboard or that menu while I have the Magic Keyboard connected. The only way I'm able to produce a footnote currently is to disconnect the Magic Keyboard, access the onscreen keyboard, select the paragraph menu, select Footnote, and then type the footnote using either the onscreen keyboard or by reconnecting the Magic Keyboard.

This appears to be a significant disadvantage to using the Magic Keyboard. Surely there's another way to insert a footnote in a Pages document while using the Magic Keyboard?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 11:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 3:36 PM

Thank you for the reply, Tom!

I referenced the link you shared, and here's what I discovered:

• Pressing the 'down' arrow in Pages just moves the cursor down, rather than triggering the onscreen keyboard
  • My Magic Keyboard (for the 11" iPad Pro) does not have an 'eject' button

That said, while in Pages, I discovered that tapping the globe icon on my Magic Keyboard triggers an onscreen choice between an English onscreen keyboard or the emoji onscreen keyboard. From there, I was able to access the keyboard shortcut row, and through that, the footnote insertion menu. It isn't the most intuitive way to get there, but it got me there.

Appreciate your help!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2020 3:36 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you for the reply, Tom!

I referenced the link you shared, and here's what I discovered:

• Pressing the 'down' arrow in Pages just moves the cursor down, rather than triggering the onscreen keyboard
  • My Magic Keyboard (for the 11" iPad Pro) does not have an 'eject' button

That said, while in Pages, I discovered that tapping the globe icon on my Magic Keyboard triggers an onscreen choice between an English onscreen keyboard or the emoji onscreen keyboard. From there, I was able to access the keyboard shortcut row, and through that, the footnote insertion menu. It isn't the most intuitive way to get there, but it got me there.

Appreciate your help!

Unable to insert footnotes in Pages when using iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.