You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16" MacBook Pro can't drive external monitor unless MacBook is plugged into power.

I tried to run my MacBook Pro in clamshell model with a Samsung 4K monitor connected, but unless the computer is plugged into the power adapter, the machine will not display a picture on the monitor. When I open the clamshell, the monitor will come on, but once I close it back or unplug the computer from power, the battery is not enough to run the display.

is this normal, or do I have a defective machine?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 2:17 PM

Darth Skywalker:

16" MacBook Pro can't drive external monitor unless MacBook is plugged into power. [...]is this normal, or do I have a defective machine?

———-

Is Closed Display Mode Enabled?:

Use your Mac Notebook In Closed-Display Mode with an External Display

To use an external display with your Mac notebook while its built-in display is closed, use Closed-Display Mode.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2020 2:17 PM in response to Darth Skywalker

Darth Skywalker:

16" MacBook Pro can't drive external monitor unless MacBook is plugged into power. [...]is this normal, or do I have a defective machine?

———-

Is Closed Display Mode Enabled?:

Use your Mac Notebook In Closed-Display Mode with an External Display

To use an external display with your Mac notebook while its built-in display is closed, use Closed-Display Mode.

16" MacBook Pro can't drive external monitor unless MacBook is plugged into power.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.