You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import an iTunes library from external drive to Apple Music in Catalina?

How do I import an iTunes library from external drive to Apple Music in Catalina?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 5:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 5:56 PM

You can press and hold down option as you launch Music to access and convert an existing iTunes library to Music. You can choose where to save the converted library, so you could store that on the external drive too.

tt2

3 replies

Aug 9, 2020 8:15 AM in response to TheRealPilothawg

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for more on moving the library from one computer to another. If you have either iTunes Match or Apple Music then whatever you have locally should be merged with what is already in the cloud when you enable Sync Library (aka iCloud Music Library).

If you've somehow deleted your content in the cloud then locally stored tracks might be marked as removed from the cloud when the library syncs, but they shouldn't actually be deleted, and they can be added back to the cloud library.

tt2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.