You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the files saved on my actual Macbook laptop? (vs just in iCloud)

Under Finder/iCloud/Documents" I see that my documents are automatically being saved there. Are they also saving on my actual Macbook? If so, how can I see and ensure that they are also in my actual Macbook laptop (not just iCloud) location?

Under Finder/"Locations", I see "Dee's Macbook Air" (icon of a monitor) and "Mac" (icon of a hard drive). Within those, and their folders/subfolders, nothing contains any document files or folders.

Thank you!

Dee

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 9:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 10:01 AM

Open "Mac" (your internal drive) > Users > [your home folder, has a house icon] > Documents.

You can select Finder menu > Preferences > Sidebar tab and tick the box for Documents, then that will show up in the sidebar of every folder you open and allow you to easily access your Documents.

3 replies

Aug 13, 2020 11:13 AM in response to Deekay56

If you are storing documents in iCloud, they should also be on your Mac unless you are running out of space (in which case the Mac will only keep them iCloud).

Try this – select one of the documents in Finder/iCloud/Documents and then File menu > Get Info. Under Where:, if it shows that the location is your internal drive, it's there (and also in iCloud).

Aug 13, 2020 10:16 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Thanks for your quick response, neuroanatomist. I've tried your instructions, but there is no house icon in any folder that I see. When I go into Users>myfirstname.mylastname [no house icon], I get no "Documents" folder -- just Applications, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, and Relocated. (The Relocated folder just leads to one file, an instruction page, which hasn't yet helped me to find Documents.

So I'm still wondering a) whether my documents are being automatically saved on my macbook internal drive (not just iCloud). b) If not, how to make that happen. c) If so, how to find/see them.

Thank you again!

Dee

Where are the files saved on my actual Macbook laptop? (vs just in iCloud)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.