You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to migrate an iCloud Photo Library to a new iMac without re-downloading everything

I just ordered a new iMac. I currently have an older iMac with an iCloud Photo Library that is stored on an external drive. I want to know the proper process for getting this Photo Library moved to the new iMac such that it remains the “System Photo Library” that syncs with iCloud and does not trigger a re-download of all of my photos which would put be over my monthly data allotment. (Ugh, Comcast)

Since it’s on an external drive, I would hope it could be as simple as attaching the drive to the new Mac and opening the Library manually from that drive and then setting it as the System Photo Library in the Photos app. But I don’t want to make any mistake as once a full download is triggered, there’s no going back. I know this because it happened the last time I upgraded to a new iMac.

As a note, I am not planning on using Time Machine to restore to my new iMac as I’m hoping to start from the out of the box OS install and only install the apps I need as I have years (possibly decades) of restored junk from old apps I don’t need to keep moving from machine to machine.

Should I avoid signing in to iCloud on the new machine until a certain point in time? Should I just avoid opening the Photos app on the new Mac until I have the external drive attached? These are the questions floating through my mind.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 11:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 2:16 PM

So, to answer my own question, I just got my new iMac. Previously I had restored from Time Machine backups but my experience was that the iCloud sync was triggered after restoring. I didn't want that to happen. I'm already close to my data cap with Comcast/Xfinity for the month. I also didn't want a decade or more of old Application Support files, etc. that I didn't need.

My library was already on an external volume - my internal Fusion drive was frustrating me so I use an external SSD flash drive. I consciously did not sign into iCloud when going through the initial computer set up. I then connected my external drive. I opened the photo library by double clicking on the file on the drive in Finder. I was prompted to confirm opening it for the first time (which made me a tad nervous) but continuing past this worked fine. I went to Photos > Preferences and clicked the button to make it my System Photo Library. I then went to the iCloud tab in the same Photos Preferences window and clicked the button to sign in to iCloud. This launched the iCloud System Preference Pane which I went through. When that was done, even though Photos in iCloud was checked, when I closed that window and was returned to the Photos Preferences window that was still open, iCloud Photos with the sub-option for Download Originals to this Mac was not enabled. So I clicked that and closed the window.

And all is good. I made some edits to test and they synced but I avoided having my whole library is do a full re-sync and my People albums are also fully intact.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2020 2:16 PM in response to PhillipU

So, to answer my own question, I just got my new iMac. Previously I had restored from Time Machine backups but my experience was that the iCloud sync was triggered after restoring. I didn't want that to happen. I'm already close to my data cap with Comcast/Xfinity for the month. I also didn't want a decade or more of old Application Support files, etc. that I didn't need.

My library was already on an external volume - my internal Fusion drive was frustrating me so I use an external SSD flash drive. I consciously did not sign into iCloud when going through the initial computer set up. I then connected my external drive. I opened the photo library by double clicking on the file on the drive in Finder. I was prompted to confirm opening it for the first time (which made me a tad nervous) but continuing past this worked fine. I went to Photos > Preferences and clicked the button to make it my System Photo Library. I then went to the iCloud tab in the same Photos Preferences window and clicked the button to sign in to iCloud. This launched the iCloud System Preference Pane which I went through. When that was done, even though Photos in iCloud was checked, when I closed that window and was returned to the Photos Preferences window that was still open, iCloud Photos with the sub-option for Download Originals to this Mac was not enabled. So I clicked that and closed the window.

And all is good. I made some edits to test and they synced but I avoided having my whole library is do a full re-sync and my People albums are also fully intact.

How to migrate an iCloud Photo Library to a new iMac without re-downloading everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.