You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive read and write

Hi,

So I have previously researched about why I am unable to copy files into my hard drive on my mac. The answers were all saying how my hard drive is a windows NT file system so I have to somehow change it to the mac version?

However, on my old macbook pro (late 2012) I can still use it normally. I just suddenly had an epiphany to the reason which is that the late 2012 software is only upgraded to the Os X Yosemite version while the other mac must be El Capitan or newer.

My question is does the software affect how my hard drives are received by the computer? Because I heard that it will erase files on the drive if the format is changed.

Thank you to anyone who can answer!

MacBook

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 7:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 8:40 PM

Macs can only read NTFS formatted drives. To use them as Mac drives, they must be properly formatted.

Drive Partition and Format - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the side list. 
  3. Click on the Erase button in the Disk Utility toolbar. A panel should drop down.
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply/Erase button and click on the Done button when it is activated.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Because Macs cannot write to an NTFS drive, you may have to convert it to a FAT32 format, first.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2020 8:40 PM in response to Anonymous-4

Macs can only read NTFS formatted drives. To use them as Mac drives, they must be properly formatted.

Drive Partition and Format - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the side list. 
  3. Click on the Erase button in the Disk Utility toolbar. A panel should drop down.
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply/Erase button and click on the Done button when it is activated.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Because Macs cannot write to an NTFS drive, you may have to convert it to a FAT32 format, first.

Hard drive read and write

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.