You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad keyboard not working

why wont my ipad keyboard work=

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 5:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 5:37 AM

What keyboard are you talking about? On which iPadPro model / generation?

Where did you buy that keyboard?

Have you checked their compatibility in this article?--> https://www.apple.com/ipad-keyboards/

Have you followed all the steps provided in this support guide?--> Use your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard with your iPad - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2020 5:37 AM in response to paintoncanvas

What keyboard are you talking about? On which iPadPro model / generation?

Where did you buy that keyboard?

Have you checked their compatibility in this article?--> https://www.apple.com/ipad-keyboards/

Have you followed all the steps provided in this support guide?--> Use your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard with your iPad - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Aug 16, 2020 7:04 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Sorry for that jumbled up question, and thank you for your reply. I have a 2nd generation ipad pro 12.9 inch and this keyboard issue has given me fits. The keyboard wasn’t working when I keyed in the question, and it got sent off before I finished...I abhor typing on the screen of the iPad....the keyboard is an Apple one that replaced the original one in the first recall of the keyboards. In talking to Apple Support, the tech suggests it is a “cord issue” and “that sometimes the chargers just wear out”. This seems crazy to me as the charger seems to work fine to charge the iPad but maybe it is not charging the keyboard? Yes, I have followed ALL the steps on the Apple Support suggestions and ALL the steps I could find anywhere else. Right this moment, it is working again. I use my iPad as my only computer, so I absolutely need a keyboard that works. I will look at the compatible keyboards on the link you shared. Thank you so much for taking the time to supply all those links. I appreciate the help!

Best,

Margaux

Aug 16, 2020 7:16 AM in response to paintoncanvas

Is your keyboard the Smart Folio Keyboard, which your iPad attaches to by magnet? If it is, I think the Apple Tech is referring to the smart connectors on the back of your iPad, which align with the smart connector on the keyboard. The smart folio keyboard receives its power directly from the iPad. If the smart connectors get dirty for example, they can lose the ability to connect. If the back of the keyboard the iPad attaches is ever so slightly bent, it can interfere with the smart connectors connecting.

The first thing you should try is to use a micro fiber cloth and wipe the smart connectors on both the iPad and keyboard. If that doesn't work, can you see any slight bend in the back the iPad attaches to?

If all else fails, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius bar, take the iPad and Smart Keyboard with you. Apple quietly extended the warranty on the Smart Folio Keyboard to three years for some keyboards.

Aug 16, 2020 7:23 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Thank you so much - I do not see a bend in the keyboard or in the iPad. I have wiped it down thoroughly. Right now it is working again, so perhaps that worked, although this issue seems to just sporadically pop up every day.

The tech referred specifically to the cable that charges the iPad, not to the magnets. As a matter of fact, it was never suggested to even wipe down the connectors and keyboard.

I will call Apple again...since our store is closed now, I can’t go there for a Genius bar apointment, but thank you for the suggestion. Perhaps I can get them to replace this again. I looked at the previous link for a keyboard that was sent by Guilio Proust, but there is not one available on that link for my big iPad of 2nd generation.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Margaux

ipad keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.