You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple 24" LED Cinema Display with new mac mini 2020

I have purchesed a new Mac Mini and would like to continue using my old display (24" LED Cinema Dispay) as a second monitor. I've been using the monitor with my Macbook pro for years. I plan to purchase a new LG monitor to conect to the HDMI port.

The old monitor connects via Mini Display Port so I assume I will require a USB-C to Mini Display Port adaptor like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-USB-Mini-DisplayPort-Adapter-Black/dp/B077G5W12W

I've been reading some conflicting advice on message boards about the effectiveness of this.

I would appreciate very much if someone could advise.

Very best

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 3:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 4:35 AM

It will work..

The conflict feedback was mainly users were confused "Thunderbolt display" -- which should use Thunderbolt 3 --> Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

In your case, you have "Cinema display" which will require "Mini display" output -- as you indicated from the adapter you indicated.

Mini display port and Thunderbolt 1/2 share the same shape but quite different.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 17, 2020 4:35 AM in response to vavan101

It will work..

The conflict feedback was mainly users were confused "Thunderbolt display" -- which should use Thunderbolt 3 --> Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

In your case, you have "Cinema display" which will require "Mini display" output -- as you indicated from the adapter you indicated.

Mini display port and Thunderbolt 1/2 share the same shape but quite different.

Using Apple 24" LED Cinema Display with new mac mini 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.