You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home App — Accept Invite w/macOS

I’ve created a Home, with several rooms, Apple devices, and some accessories, and it seems to work. I’ve invited my wife and daughter to join the Home, my wife had no problem accepting the invite from her iPad. However my daughter has no iOS/iPadOS devices 😮 and ‘just’ has a Mac mini. When she opens the Home App and follows this support document to try and accept the invite, there is no 🏠 to click on, nor an invitation to accept. How can she accept a Home invitation on macOS?

(I can’t find a Home app topic, so sorry if this ends up in the wrong area)

Share control of your home - Apple Support

TL;dr

On your Mac

1. Open the Home app and click  in the toolbar.
  2. Click 1 Invitation.
  3. Click Accept, then click Done.

After you accept the invite, click  in the toolbar, then click the name of the home to control it.

Here's what her screen looks like :

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 2:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 12:31 PM

Ok, it’s fixed, here’s what I did:

*On my iPad in the Home App I ‘Canceled’ the previous Invitation (I think that’s the word they used)

*While waiting for it to process I rebooted my iPad and her Mac (~5 min)

*On my iPad’s Home App I ‘Invited’ her to the Home, like before choosing her from our Family Sharing list

*On her Mac there was now a (1) badge on the Home App

*In her Home App there was now a 🏠 drop down menu with an 1 Invitation, she accepted

*We then ‘Removed’ her default ‘My Home’, so she now only has one choice (our homename)

So probably the first invitation just got stuck somewhere, fortunately it was quick to clear our and try again, I should have tried this first.

Thanks for your help

macOS Home App icon w/Badge & Home App with 🏠 drop down menu

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2020 12:31 PM in response to ryane77

Ok, it’s fixed, here’s what I did:

*On my iPad in the Home App I ‘Canceled’ the previous Invitation (I think that’s the word they used)

*While waiting for it to process I rebooted my iPad and her Mac (~5 min)

*On my iPad’s Home App I ‘Invited’ her to the Home, like before choosing her from our Family Sharing list

*On her Mac there was now a (1) badge on the Home App

*In her Home App there was now a 🏠 drop down menu with an 1 Invitation, she accepted

*We then ‘Removed’ her default ‘My Home’, so she now only has one choice (our homename)

So probably the first invitation just got stuck somewhere, fortunately it was quick to clear our and try again, I should have tried this first.

Thanks for your help

macOS Home App icon w/Badge & Home App with 🏠 drop down menu

Aug 19, 2020 9:31 AM in response to A07570

Hey there A07570,

We understand that your daughter's Mac mini is not showing the invite for control of the HomeKit accessories. We'd like to help.

You did great by referencing the steps here: Share control of your home

Let's go over a few other things.

To begin, make sure the Mac is up-to-date: How to update the software on your Mac

Then confirm that the Home Hub is signed in with your Apple ID: Set up your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub

Also, confirm that the Apple ID account have two-factor authentication enabled: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

If the issue with the invitation still occurs, reach out to our HomeKit experts using this link: Get Support

Cheers!

Aug 19, 2020 10:17 AM in response to sterling r

Sterling—

Thanks for your response, I have double checked that all of our Apple devices have current software, that our ‘Home’ has (2) HomePods and (2) Apple TV’s listed (1 HomePod ‘connected’, the others in ‘standby’), and that two-factor authentication is enabled for both myself and my daughter.

I think I will try to cancel the current invitation, wait a bit, and then send another; if I have the same results I’ll contact support at the link you provided.

Thanks again for your help!

Home App — Accept Invite w/macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.