You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch - Workouts and External heart monitors

Good day,

I am currently using an external heart rate monitor (chest strap) to more accurately track my heart rate in a workout.

I am able to connect it to my watch, but there are some workouts where I would like to remove the watch from my wrist, as I am afraid of damaging the screen during a workout.

I have tried it, but it seems that the Workout on the watch pauses automatically (I assume it picks up that it is not on my wrist).

Is it possible to have my watch active on a Workout (using the external heart rate monitor for heart rate) while not being on my wrist?

Thanks

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 2:29 AM

1 reply

Aug 19, 2020 2:50 PM in response to Devin_09

Hi Devin_09,

We understand you're trying to do a workout without your Apple Watch. We're happy to help.

The Apple Watch uses built in sensors to track workouts and generate information like calories, heart rate, etc. Because of this the Apple Watch needs to be worn while you're running the Workout application. If you remove the Apple Watch, it will stop the workout. This is by design. You can find more information on using the Workout app here: Work out with your Apple Watch

Now if you'd just like to use this heart rate monitor and not do an Apple Watch Workout, they may have an application available for this monitor that you can sync the data from that directly to your iPhone. We'd suggest checking with the manufacturer of that heart rate monitor to see if that's a possibility.

We hope this helps. Cheers!

Apple watch - Workouts and External heart monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.