You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hours format

In Numbers 10.1, I'm setting a cell to "hours" , if i type 9 i get 9:00, but if I type 9:30 i get 0:10 and the real value of the cell ( extreme btm left ) shows 0:09,5...where is the problem exactly ? the data format doesn't keep his setting.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 12:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 2:16 AM

In Numbers there is no "hours" setting, so it's a little hard to guess what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to enter a point in time, such as 09:00 am then set your Data Format (Format > Cell tab) to Date & Time.

If you are trying to enter a segment of time (elapsed time), say 9 hours of work, then enter 9h. Or if 9 hours and 30 minutes, then enter 9h 30m. Numbers should know then you mean a Duration, not Date & Time. Go to the Data Format dropdown to check this, and (if you want) change the way a duration is displayed.

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2020 2:16 AM in response to Claudel35

In Numbers there is no "hours" setting, so it's a little hard to guess what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to enter a point in time, such as 09:00 am then set your Data Format (Format > Cell tab) to Date & Time.

If you are trying to enter a segment of time (elapsed time), say 9 hours of work, then enter 9h. Or if 9 hours and 30 minutes, then enter 9h 30m. Numbers should know then you mean a Duration, not Date & Time. Go to the Data Format dropdown to check this, and (if you want) change the way a duration is displayed.

SG

Aug 21, 2020 7:01 AM in response to Claudel35

It is a little non-intuitive in this instance. It appears you have already formatted the cell as duration with the units of hr and min displayed as 0:00 (which is h:mm). That is all correct. When you type a plain old 9, it assumes you mean 9 hours and displays it as 9:00. When you type 9:30 it is assuming you mean 9 minutes and 30 seconds, which shows up as 0:10, which is 9m30s round to the nearest minute. If you type 9:30:0 or 9:30:00 it will be seen as hours, minutes, seconds and display as 9:30. If you type 9h30m or 9.5 it will display as 9:30. That's just how it works; I know of no workaround, just to type the additional stuff it requires.

Hours format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.