You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mailbox in Apple Mail stuck in Moving Messages

After moving messages in Apple Mail from one mailbox to an iCloud mailbox, the Apple Mail app appears to have gotten out of synch and is stuck moving the messages. At the bottom left below my mailboxes and in the Activity window, it shows "Moving Messages 7 of 18" and does not seem to be able to complete the action. I've tried closing Mail, and even rebooting, but it does not seem to reset. If I move an additional message, both numbers will increase (e.g. it will change to 8 of 19) but there are 11 messages that do not seem to finish. At this point, I'm no longer even sure what those messages are. Any ideas on how to fix this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 1:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 9:41 PM

Hey Bearfan87! Glad to hear you were able to work it out! What you said makes sense, I find that when this happens, “Moving Messages”, that doesn’t progress, you’re right, it usually means there’s an email jamming up the system, preventing the native Mail app indexing to complete! Good thing you were able to find the culprit!

Otherwise, if the standard steps don’t work out, I find this works 99% of the time. (Like you said, make sure there’s a back up of the data and the mailboxes exported, especially POP account):

Note: that is you do a Finder, or Spotlight search, and no results appear or it just loads, or says “Indexing” for longer than a day, it’s better to follow this article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Anyhow:

Quit Mail app.

Open Finder.

Too menu click Go.

Press and hold Option on the keyboard and you’ll see the ~Library appear, click on that.

Open the Mail folder.

Then open V7 (Older OS May say V6 v5 etc.

Open Mail Data folder.

Delete all the files that begin with Envelope Index.

I also typically clear from the library:

Saved Application State > com.apple.mail.

which prevents the previously open windows from opening if necessary.

Re launch Mail app. Don’t be alarmed, it will look as if new and start importing your messages again, fixing the indexing issue.

If you’re missing any mailboxes, you can just import the exported mailboxes you saved earlier, or restore from your backup, but typically I’ve never had trouble with these steps.

(OS is always changing though, as far as I know older OS’ and up to Catalina, these steps work fine. they may not in future OS’ though.

Anyhow all the best!

Export / Import Mailboxes:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/import-or-export-mailboxes-mlhlp1030/mac

Backup using Time Machine:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2020 9:41 PM in response to Bearfan87

Hey Bearfan87! Glad to hear you were able to work it out! What you said makes sense, I find that when this happens, “Moving Messages”, that doesn’t progress, you’re right, it usually means there’s an email jamming up the system, preventing the native Mail app indexing to complete! Good thing you were able to find the culprit!

Otherwise, if the standard steps don’t work out, I find this works 99% of the time. (Like you said, make sure there’s a back up of the data and the mailboxes exported, especially POP account):

Note: that is you do a Finder, or Spotlight search, and no results appear or it just loads, or says “Indexing” for longer than a day, it’s better to follow this article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Anyhow:

Quit Mail app.

Open Finder.

Too menu click Go.

Press and hold Option on the keyboard and you’ll see the ~Library appear, click on that.

Open the Mail folder.

Then open V7 (Older OS May say V6 v5 etc.

Open Mail Data folder.

Delete all the files that begin with Envelope Index.

I also typically clear from the library:

Saved Application State > com.apple.mail.

which prevents the previously open windows from opening if necessary.

Re launch Mail app. Don’t be alarmed, it will look as if new and start importing your messages again, fixing the indexing issue.

If you’re missing any mailboxes, you can just import the exported mailboxes you saved earlier, or restore from your backup, but typically I’ve never had trouble with these steps.

(OS is always changing though, as far as I know older OS’ and up to Catalina, these steps work fine. they may not in future OS’ though.

Anyhow all the best!

Export / Import Mailboxes:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/import-or-export-mailboxes-mlhlp1030/mac

Backup using Time Machine:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Aug 21, 2020 8:54 PM in response to brenden dv

I tried to boot up in safe mode but that didn't seem to help. However, after continuing to play around with it I found the solution by realizing which specific message moves were not being communicated back to iCloud. It seems like the pointers to folders and emails can get messed up easily if you're moving a large number of emails at once. In this case, the folder gets copied locally, but the update isn't communicated to iCloud and neither is the subsequent confirmation from iCloud communicated back to Mail, so Mail waits for that confirmation complete the move process. Other processes can take place around the incomplete move, but Mail will wait forever unless it's told otherwise.

The solution is to force Mail to realize that something is wrong. In this case, I was able to do that by deleting the target folder directly from iCloud on the web, rather than in Mail. The folder deletion is communicated back to Mail, and Mail realizes that it can't complete the move and throws an error message that ends the Moving Messages action. At that point, you can delete any message moves in Mail that aren't reflected in iCloud, and start over with your folder or mail move. I don't know everything that might cause something like this, but in my case, it was trying to move a message that was larger than iCloud's size limit.

You can monitor what's happening by using the Activity window in Mail. Additionally, before attempting the move again I exported the messages from my source folder to make sure I had an extra copy of them, and then imported them back into Mail. At that point I dragged the folder to the desired account and renamed it from the default name.

Aug 21, 2020 2:43 PM in response to Bearfan87

Hi Bearfan87,

Thanks for your post! We see that after moving messages from one email account to iCloud, the messages seem to have gotten stuck moving. Since quitting the app, then restarting has not resolved the issue, try starting your Mac in safe mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists, try performing an NVRAM reset.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let us know what you find out!

Take care!

Mailbox in Apple Mail stuck in Moving Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.