You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So my largest file in "other" is iMovie library...I moved it to a USB 8TB drive. Is it ok now to delete from Mac internal HD?

So my largest file in "other" is iMovie library...I moved it to a USB 8TB drive. Is it ok now to delete from Mac internal HD?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 10:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 11:11 AM

Hi, glenn2189,

As long as you copied your iMovie library to an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, you can delete the library from your Mac internal HD. However, before deleting it make sure that the library on your external drive is functioning correctly. You should have your iMovie library backed up on a second external drive as well. That way, if your first external drive fails (and they do) you will have a back up. Note: If you are using a Time Machine backup, your external drive may not be backed up by a Time Machine backup if the external drive is not selected to be backed up in the Time Machine settings.

If you need to reformat your external drive per the above, be aware that reformatting will delete all data on the drive. So before reformatting back up any data, including the iMovie library, that you want to keep. Best to reformat, if you need to, before copying over your iMovie library.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2020 11:11 AM in response to glenn2189

Hi, glenn2189,

As long as you copied your iMovie library to an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, you can delete the library from your Mac internal HD. However, before deleting it make sure that the library on your external drive is functioning correctly. You should have your iMovie library backed up on a second external drive as well. That way, if your first external drive fails (and they do) you will have a back up. Note: If you are using a Time Machine backup, your external drive may not be backed up by a Time Machine backup if the external drive is not selected to be backed up in the Time Machine settings.

If you need to reformat your external drive per the above, be aware that reformatting will delete all data on the drive. So before reformatting back up any data, including the iMovie library, that you want to keep. Best to reformat, if you need to, before copying over your iMovie library.

-- Rich

Aug 21, 2020 12:08 PM in response to glenn2189

The iMovie library is probably showing in both drives because you have not yet deleted your iMovie library from your internal drive. When you do a "This Mac" search for "other - iMovie Library" it will show all iMovie libraries on your internal drive and on any external drives that are plugged in to your Mac. It is showing in "other" because the iMovie library doesn't fit any other category.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.