You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages - split screen

Can you display two open Pages documents side by side as a split screen?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 6:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 7:15 AM

Yes, you can. If the same document, must be in different folders. Have both Pages windows open, and then, see the article, Use two Mac apps side by side in Split View.

7 replies

Aug 25, 2020 7:50 AM in response to pedal_man

Have the following selections in System Preferences : Mission Control.

Then follow the Split Screen instructions for removing the Split Screen, followed by another try based on following the instructions for creating a Split screen again. Once you have the first Pages instance in a split screen, you just click the other to bring it into split screen.

Aug 25, 2020 8:50 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks again. Got it to work, though not quite as instructed!! I opened Pages and opened both documents. I then dragged the left bar across to about mid screen - thus leaving half a screen visible. I then clicked on the document that was 'hidden" and dragged it across to the other side - which allowed me to view and work on both documents. If I try to move the open Pages App to the left of screen using the green button, I can't drag the second document across to the free space at the right. Probably doing something stupid - but I did set Mission Control on Safari and Apple System Preferences as instructed. Although software up to date, I don't have the option at the bottom which says "Dashboard" so couldn't choose "As Space". Main thing is that mission is achieved - cheers!

Aug 25, 2020 9:37 AM in response to pedal_man

There is no ordinary drag operation in using Split View. You have two Pages application windows open. You press and hold the green traffic light on the left document window, and it jumps to its Split Screen position on the left. Then you just click on the other Pages document, and it too becomes a half screen partner to the first split screen instance.

Aug 25, 2020 10:19 AM in response to VikingOSX

I now realise that I need to have the two documents' individual tabs in separate windows before I can split the screen. So I open Pages and the two documents as normal then on one of the documents go to Window > View > Open Tab in New Window and then, using the green button, move that tab to left or right - leaving the other tab visible on the other side of the screen (along with other things which are open in other Apps) - click on the other tab and the true split screen is in operation.

Safari seems to work in a similar fashion.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Pages - split screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.